I have a heap of bits and pieces in my food cupboard that I would normally use to make cakes or biscuits. Alas in my current apartment there is no oven. So I decided to make an adult version of rum balls. If you have a decent blender then you can certainly blend the mix to reduce the need to pre-soak the dates-I won’t have a blender until I move to Berlin. The rum is of course optional and can be replaced by water, although it makes a quick snack into a lovely adult dessert for a dinner party.
- 12 dried dates, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup quinoa (if grain free you could use flaxseeds and linseeds)
- 1 cup water (to cook quinoa)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes (or coconut sugar)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon plant oil (I used coconut oil but any would work ok)
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Soak dates in hot water over night. Drain.
- Dice dates in small pieces (scissors work really well) and place in a mixing bowl
- Dry fry quinoa until it changes colour (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add water and cook quinoa on a low temperature for 5 minutes, will be softer but still have a little bite.
- Drain and add to the dates.
- Add the almond meal, cacao powder, olive and rum and stir well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Place mix in the fridge for an hour to make it easier to roll.
- Take about a tablespoon of the mix and roll into balls.
- Roll the balls in coconut flakes and store in a sealed container in the fridge or serve.
<a href="https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4REaGWyKxYI/VOSeexoE0hI/AAAAAAAAKrQ/TlsscRzQuQg/s1600/2015-02-18%2B15.00.51.jpg"><img src="https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4REaGWyKxYI/VOSeexoE0hI/AAAAAAAAKrQ/TlsscRzQuQg/s1600/2015-02-18%2B15.00.51.jpg" alt="" width="315" height="400" border="0" /></a>