Vanilla bean jam is one of my favourite recipes for cool weather. I like to serve it with toast, crumpets or of course freshly baked scones! It’s very easy to make and definitely would make a lovely Christmas gift.
Pear and Vanilla Bean Jam
- 6-8 large pears
- 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 1.5 cups sugar (add more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sterillised jars and lids
- Core pears and dice into pieces. If your pears are the thin skinned yellow or green ones they shouldn’t need to be peeled.
- In a large pot, combine the pears, sugar, lemon, cinnamon and vanilla beans pieces and scrapings.
- Cook over medium heat until the fruit is soft. Remove the solid vanilla beans and using a potato masher, break down the fruit. You can alternatively use a stick blender for more of a puree type preserve.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Pour in clean sterilised jars and water bath for ten minutes at a rolling boil.