Pic from <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigPineapple">here_
I love pineapple but as a food it always seems to have such a tremendous amount of waste. Perhaps this is why tinned pineapple is so popular?
So when I bought a pineapple this week, I decided to use the core and skin to make pineapple cordial. It’s a light and flavourful drink, without the sweetness of fresh pineapple or pineapple juice. As I don’t like sweet drinks it worths wonderfully.
I love <a href="https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-PINEAPPLE-SHAPED-PLASTIC-PITCHER-Minerware-with-6-pineapple-mugs-/221488809564?pt=DinnerwareServingDishes&hash=item3391c3065c">this pineapple jug!
- Skin of 1 pineapple (you could also use the core if you aren’t eating it)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon
- 5 cups water
- Place pineapple skins, sugar and water in a large saucepan.
- Cook on a simmer for 30 mins.
- Juice the lemon and add to the mixture.
- Sit covered overnight
- Strain into a jug or bottle and store in the refrigerator.
To use: Top cordial with water or sparkling water or add to your favourite cocktail. Cordial keeps in the fridge for about 3 weeks.