I love the way that so many people are so different and I sometimes wonder what causes them to be different. I feel that with the rise of television, infotainment, celebrity, popular culture, sponsored bloggers and the like, we are constantly given perceptions of who we are based on what we have and what we consume. I know from running Green Renters for example, that many people have a very set idea of a) how the founder of a national charity should be and b) what a sustainability ‘expert’ will be like. I tend to surprise people a bit as I don’t tend to fit their stereotypes. No, I don’t read the Herald Sun or watch Channel 9 (considered more right wing activities), but I also don’t wear clogs and Gorman sack dresses. Or thai fisherman pants. (I have actually had two pairs of clogs in the past but gave up after the buckles kept falling off).
- I don’t drive. I’m 38 but I never learnt. I moved to the city for University and had no one to teach me. After that I couldn’t afford it and/or was struggling with bipolar and driving wasn’t a good idea at that time. The thought of driving makes me nervous. Some people find it astonishing that someone can be in their late 30’s and never had driven. I take public transport, ride a bike and use taxis as needed.
- I make all my own cleaning products with the exception of dishwashing liquid. Dishwashing liquid is very hit and miss and when you make your own you tend to need far much more than when one is mass produced.
- I adore crime shows and crime fiction. Big fan of the work of Jimmy McGovern and Val McDermid amongst others. I studied criminology at Uni. Yes, it’s all very interesting but employment requires many years of further training.
- I far prefer winter to summer. I find hot weather exhausting and find I always have plenty to do in winter. I also don’t feel guilty being indoors cooking, reading, crafting when the sun isn’t shining. I always have a internal dialogue that says one ‘should’ be doing things on sunny days but often I don’t have the time or people to do them with.
- I’ve been self employed for six years. I work from home all of the week except for meetings, workshops and buying materials, errands, post office etc. Self employment has many merits but there are also many disadvantages. I work most weekends. I’ve had only one job on a Monday only in six years. No one books anything on Mondays. I couldn’t do it forever. That said, I’m moving to Leipzig to work on a chic lit (romance) novel. Enforced self employment really.
- I enjoy crime fiction and chic lit. I am not ashamed of this.
- I’ve never been part of any sporting team. I’ve never followed any sporting team. I’ve never seen a sports game in it’s entirity. I’m just not interested, I’d rather read a book-except for roller derby recently. That was fun. My husband asked if I wanted to go again. My reply “Why? I’ve already seen a game”.
- I make all my own skincare. I don’t make soap though, I don’t need any more crafts!
- I don’t have children or any inclination to have children. I never have. I think some people see child rearing as a rite of passage to adulthood and don’t consider being childfree as a viable life choice. I think people who really want kids should have them and I feel sorry for those who are infertile. Me, I have other things that I devote my passions to.
Do you want to join in? I love getting to know people