I totally forgot to take pictures so here's some pictures of beetroot cakes made by another cook
- 500g self raising flour (or gluten free and baking soda).
- 180g cocoa
- 100g sugar (more to taste)
- 2 medium beetroot, grated
- 100ml olive oil
- 350ml orange juice
- 1.5 tablespoons baking powder
- 250g silken tofu
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a 22cm cake tin (it's easier if you've got a loose-bottomed one).
- Sift the flour and cocoa together into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and grated beetroot and mix to combine.
- Blend together the oil, juice, baking powder and tofu, until it has a smooth texture and is well combined.
- Add this to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Then pour this into the cake tin and cook in the oven for 1.25 – 1.5 hours.
- Check the cake after 1 hour by inserting a skewer into it – if it comes out clean the cake is ready. The cake will come out of the oven slightly cracked on top, but smelling wonderful.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and serve with the spiced beetroot glaze.
Spiced beetroot glaze
- 1 litre water
- 1 medium beetroot, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split in 2
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and then gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture, reserving the liquid.
- Add the beetroot back to the strained liquid and then blend this together.
- Pour the glaze back into the pan and heat for a further 2 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little and drizzle over cake.